22nd July, 2013 – Food Waste and Weeding Reflections
Here are the two videos that we looked today. Check them out to find out more:
Hungrybeast video on food waste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUt5JP5mwJo
BTN story on food waste: http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3334662.htm
- It’s quite amazing how much edible food Australians throw away. Look at the price of food in Australia and compare this to other countries; mainly developing countries. I wonder if there is a difference?
- The videos use a lot of maths to explain food wastage. If you can’t comprehend numbers such as 4.45 million tonnes of food, $5.2 billion wasted, 936kg of food wasted per household each year and 1/4 (one quarter of food we buy is wasted). Did you see any more? what were they?
- In developing countries, people eat less meat and more plant foods. Which countries eat more meat and why?
- To make 1kg of meat, why does it take 10kg of cereals (wheat and other grasses) and 100,000 litres of water?
- make your own questions and try to answer them!
22nd July, 2013 – Available Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit
What we have in the garden now:
- Broccoli (most are in the grade 3 kitchen as they broke off early)
- Spring onions
- Snow peas
- Parsley (crinkly leaf)